> I must admit (sheepishly) that I have Bigpond Broadband ADSL.
>
> Yes, it is expensive, but I was able to cancel one of our office phone
> lines by having it. As well, by having all plans, ie. mobile,
> landline, long distance calls etc. with Telstra, I get 15% off all
> bills. So pricing should be considered as a package.

I agree with Greg. The plans help. We have a 'spare' line for fax/eftpod etc
which I will bring over to Telstra and even preselect even though
rarely/never use for o/seas calls, and doing that brings the bill down a
bit, although I still reckon it's expensive and, yes, it was infuriating
when they put a cap on and then upped the price. And there's no 'opposition'
as such so they have a monopoly. And the heartbeat thing is annoying.

But you have to consider things as they are now.

The service is *very* fast for me. Seen download speeds (admittedly maybe
from Akamai mirrors etc) of 700k/sec, not that many times it has been down
(compared to what, though), it has a good ping rate and there is a 10Gb cap
which is a lot even for me.

But if I didn't have it I would probably go for Westnet seeing so many
people agree that it's good.

If you *can* get cable you should seriously think about it or at least do
the exercise (IMHO).

Brett Carboni
Tsunami
"Now with Mac powered internet ready cable sushi"