Hmm, 'haven't experienced that Mark (I've installed OS X on 266 mhz iMacs
all the way through to eMacs and G4 / G5 Towers).

The only time I received an irrecoverable error during an OS install was
during a clamshell 'graphite' iBook job ... turned out to be a hard disk
issue with the OS installation (tried OS 9 and X).

Why do I suspect it had something to do with the OS? I've been using the
hard disk from the iBook in a 2.5" firewire enclosure for two months without
a hitch.

Cheers,
Tobes.