How old is your iBook?? Mine is still under warranty anyways if it gets
that far, is there any hardware test that can be performed to find out
if there is any hardware faults?
Adam.
On 09/02/2004, at 2:34 PM, Kay, Richard wrote:
This is the kernel panic warning. As the relevant KnowledgeBase
article states: 'A kernel panic is a type of error that occurs when
the core (kernel) of an operating system receives an instruction in an
unexpected format, or that it fails to handle properly. A kernel panic
may also follow when the operating system is not able to recover from
a different type of error. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or
incompatible software or, more rarely, damaged or incompatible
hardware'.
This started happening on my iBook recently ... I reinstalled the
system a few times and all seemed well. Alas ... the problem appears
to have been worse than I first thought. My iBook died last Tuesday
night ... a victim of the iBook logic board problem. It is with
Digilife now undergoing repair under either Apple's special iBook
logic board repair program (the iBook falls within the affected serial
numbers) or, failing that, my AppleCare extended warranty.
I <choke> feel so , <sob> lost without my iBook. Seriously! ;-)
R.K.
-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hewitt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 9 February 2004 2:18 PM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: random reboots
Hi All,
I have been using OSX for about 7 months now and I have never had any
problems with it until recently when I begun getting a blackish box in
the middle of the screen saying "The system needs to reboot, please
hold the power button in for 5 seconds or press the reset button" and
it has this written in 5 languages. Does anyone know what this is in
regards to, whether it is a crash or just a required reboot etc, and
how I can stop it from occurring?
Cheers,
Adam.