Thanks Gordon,

I always have backups, I love my Mac and trust it as
far as computers go but I don't trust it that much.

As for needing to pull the plug on a regular basis, if
that happened it would be time for a new computer.

Like you I was under the impression that it wasn't
safe but not all that likely to cause problems. My
main worry is finding out if these sparks are just
because I pulled the plug or could be something more
sinister.

Sparking is quite normal whenever you disconnect electric circuits. I often find it happens on power plugs because they're hard to push the plug into the socket when it's at the back of a machine, so they spend some time with a small gap in place, which sparks. Original iMacs are also quite difficult to get the cord all the way into because of the shape of the case.

If it's sparking and you're *not* plugging the cord in, and you're sure it's in all the way, or it's sparking somewhere on the outside of the case, then that's cause for concern (although my FireWire ports spark all the time when I connect/disconnect cables).

Thanks,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer        Chronopolis Quiz Day