Ringer
Sent: Wednesday, 28 April 2004 10:46
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: Color profiling

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 08:35, Ted Burbidge wrote:
> I think the best and most flexible is www.binuscan.com but it is also
> expensive.  We used
> Binuscan extensively with Umax scanners and other colour devices as it
> contains ICC
reflective
> and transmissive targets, and calibration files,  against which you can
> calibrate and write
> your own device profiles.

I was actually really unimpressed with Binuscan. The quality of our
paper improved significantly when we ditched it in favour of a little
user attention to each pic in Photoshop. They make some claims about
"intelligent auto-colour correction" that I haven't seen any evidence to
back up in real-world use.

Perhaps the people we had working on it were doing something wrong, but
I'm not convinced, given how we had better results within a week working
only in Photoshop (again with custom ICC profiles, etc).

Craig Ringer