To avoid the whole blowing up motherboards and spontaneous combustion of other parts, why not settle for a nice iBook SE 466mhz. It has firewire therefore can charge your iPod and it's battery does last longer apparently. There's a few of them for under $500 on ebay but a lot of people still like the model so when selling it could get more. I'm using a Lime currently and it does me fine for tasks similar to yours as well as more demanding and it's case is sturdy for travel. Acting as a portable DVD player is a nice feature too. They've all been on lease or something so they should be a little looked after.
I prefer them over the 500mhz.

Regards Christian