OT (sort of) My eldest daughter was asked when applying for a Physio post in America to enclose her Birth Certificate which was in Newcastle UK, her qualifications which were from WA. She got a letter back asking her to go to the American embassy in Perth to get a signed certificate from the embassy to say that Australia was a country where the 'predominate'- sic- language was English. At that point she decided to get a job in the UK.
Mac
On 23/07/2004, at 7:32 AM, bill parker wrote:

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:10:32 +0800
From: Mark Secker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Eudora....more tea Vicker (sic.)?

strange behavior from Eudora's spell checker

not for the easily offended but given the word I was typing was
"vicker" (me miss spelling vicar) my guess is that  easily offended
poor typist Anglicans with hip  vicars on e-mail may come across  it
sooner rather than later! ... not only did the word in question come
up, but "vicar" is no were to be found on the list of suggestions

<http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/rudespellcheck.pdf>
--
~

You need an explanation? The same people are often surprised by our excellent command of English in Australia!

Bill

--
Dr Bill Parker
RENEW - Scientific and Technical writing & editing