I'd try just recording through the iTalk's built in microphone to see if
it's working properly first. If that works then try plugging the external
mike into the iTalk and see if it still works. This won't fix the problem
but it will isolate where the problem may be. Is it essential that the mike
goes through an external amp first?

Greg Sharp
Webmaster/President
Australian Mac Users Group