on 4/12/04 11:42 PM, Robert Howells at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 
> On 04/12/2004, at 10:08 PM, J Philippe Chaperon wrote:
> 
>> Dear WAMUG'ers,
>> 
>> I have a rather simple question but unfortunately I do have a problem
>> with
>> its understanding.
>> 
>> Briefly, I have a G5 1.8 Ghz dual processor with the Power Mac G5
>> Firmware
>> version 5.1.4f0. This was updated using the Powermac G5 Updater 5.1.4.
>> Operating system OS X 10.3.6 .
>> 
>> I thought that running Software Update would advise me that there is a
>> firmware update available, but so far did not warn me of it. However I
>> noticed this evening that the Apple Site has an updater called:
>> 
>> Power Mac G5 (June 2004) Firmware Update - version 5.1.8f7
>> 
>> My question: Is this update for the dual processor? Is it safe for me
>> to
>> update my current firmware to version 5.1.8f7?
>> 
>> What happened to versions 5.1.5f?, 5.1.6f?, 5.1.7f? (if they do exist).
>> 
>> Apple's site does not indicate whether this is for the dual processor
>> or
>> single processor machines. Hence I'm a bit reluctant to run the updater
>> which I have downloaded.
>> 
>> Many thanks for any advice on this matter.
> 
> DO NOT DO IT
> ..... unless you can verify it is DEFINITELY meant for your machine .
> 
> 

Hi Robert and Keith,

Many thanks for the advice. You both pointed to the one thing that made me
hesitate - there's no firm indication it is for my machine. I bought the G5
in December 03, when Apple still had a single-processor G5 as the entry
level, followed by my model and then the top of the line faster processors.

I am definitely not going to update the firmware with this download, and
better I'll trash it!! I will wait for Software Update to give me the prompt
instead. 

Thanks again and kind regards,

Philippe