On 14/12/2004, at 4:59 PM, Diana & Graham Stevens wrote:

I am tempted to go back to having just one partition. Anyone got any advice or suggestions before I do it?

Diana

I used to partition but eventually the system partition got too small and virtual memory started running out. If you only have one OS there's not much reason for it. Partitioning may also slow things down somewhat, since the OS cannot simultaneously fetch stuff from the system partition and data partition -- it has to do a lengthy seek back and forth. Another reason for partitioning -- reducing fragmentation, especially for virtual memory swap space -- is much reduced on Panther.

My current config is a fast hard disk (74GB Raptor) as the system drive, and the slower inbuilt disk (160GB) as the data drive. You can fiddle around with one of the files on the system drive so that data drive automatically becomes your Users directory, so all Users and data get created on that drive. And then if you have a G5 with the independent SATA busses, the OS theoretically can access your system drive and your data drive simultaneously.

Cheers, Glen Low

---
pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff
www.pixelglow.com