On 25/02/2005, at 10:44 AM, Michael Schmidt wrote:

Hi!

Yes, I am only copying my own photos folder - nothing to do with iPhoto
because I've heard that the iPhoto files have to stay where they are.

I guess I'm stuck because I'm also finding it difficult to even move my
documents folder. I'm not touching anything to do with system files. All
I really want to move to the new drive is: pictures, movies, music, my
own documents and an extra folder I created simply called downloads.
I'll go home from work this afternoon and try out all the suggestions so
far. I'll have a look at see how the firewire drive has been formatted
and maybe start again. Isn't iTunes a mean when it comes to moving the
folder?! Took me two goes! All 18GB worth of songs!

Hmm...

If you're willing to take a slight technical risk, it's actually possible to get the entire User hierarchy onto a separate drive. The technical risk is how this would interact with a Firewire drive (ans: I don't know). I've done this on my own G5, where I installed a smaller, faster boot drive, and left the larger, slower original drive as User drive which has all the user data I have (both internal drives).

Some advantages of this:
1. If you move computers or have to reformat your system drive or reinstall from scratch your system, your data is safe. 2. Probably faster to run, especially on a G5 or if the two drives are on different busses -- as your case, the internal bus and the external Firewire bus. The system can be loading system files and data files simultaneously for example. 3. Lets you use the second drive transparently. I hardly have to think about fetching stuff from the "second drive" -- It Just Works (TM).

It needs some minor investigation and a quick change to a single system file, and you're all set. Email me if you're interested or if you think the group would find it useful.

Also, if you're comfortable with the command line, there's a couple of ways of mirroring or copying an entire drive or portions thereof without the use of any third-party utilities:

ditto -- copies everything, resource forks and Mac-related metadata, etc. rsync -- copies only flat files, but you can make it do things like selective backups. Great for automatic backups between computers.

Cheers, Glen Low

---
pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff
www.pixelglow.com