I had thought the opening boing indicated
something relating to the health of the Mac.

That's correct. It indicates the results of the Mac's Power On Self Test, the bong means she's all good. Probably Tiger's done something to your BIOS/ROM as that chime is an instruction in the ROM. It's a bit of a concern, what else has it altered?

Regards Christian