On 02/08/2005, at 4:42 PM, James / Hans Kunz wrote:

hi guys
panther/tiger are fast animals....but is there a useful grafix/ drawing package available (eg corel draw for os9 & osx.2) especially that can import corel draw doc's

CorelDraw doc's not sure, but GraphicConverterX might be able to open files their is not much I have found it will not open?

As for replacement their are quite a few choices pending on what one wishes to do and output required as of course skill level?

Macromedia have Freehand a very capable drawing package with extensive file format capabilities and technical drawing capabilities. Perfect partner for Flash and the swiss army knife of drawing tools with many features.

Adobe Illustrator perfect partner for Photoshop of course as other raster type programs. EPS PDF press type projects although I still find Freehand better at sorting postscript problems than AI. Both fairly consistent with 3d programs although AI might have foot in front with some.

More for artists Corel Painter again partner for Photoshop but brilliant with video production and web based projects which need a little personal touch.The best Artists tools one could ask for without paper. Only annoying factor for me is I can't get my hands dirty and the grit of creating works although the PB gets a bit dirty sometimes.

Best thing to do is download try out and see what fits your requirements, all of above have this facility for free, remember to look into package deals as it could cover a lot of bases for one cost.

Also as Craig touched upon OS X has a Unix background so it is able to take advantage of some wonderful GNU projects which could fill your needs. Inkscape, Gimp and Cinepaint.

I am sure others will have more, but that is my toolbox to compliment FCP and NLE media.

corel (& many others) stopped writing software for mac because apple makes to many changes when updating/upgrading the system

Not too sure about this as Painter is still available from Corel for OS X with some new plug-ins for Tiger etc.. lX just released, first cab of rank was the Apple compatible.

Cheers!
`Rob...