Craig Ringer wrote:

Paul wrote:

Hi all

I have a pending project with the company I work for, if funding comes through.

They have an internal Access db and wish to make this available to customers online for the purposes of ordering.

My initial thought was to use PHP/MySQL.
The problem is how to link or convert the data efficiently.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Have you done this perhaps?

<snip>

you might be interested to know that PostgreSQL (and I think MySQL) can be used as data "engine" back-ends for Access. Rather than using Microsoft Access's internal database engine (JET?)

<snip>

You can still use Access for the user interface

That could mean I don't have to change the way the users operate.

In your case, being able to share the same data between Access and your web server would no doubt be the most attractive aspect of the configuration I've described.

oh yeah

That should cut my coding load considerably, thanks.

<snip>
Your other alternative might be to use the ODBC interface ..... potentially slow, unreliable
<snip>

Most heartening indeed.
I had a gut feeling that ODBC or even MyODBC connections might cause me premature ageing.

When it comes to it I think replacing the backend with a more flexible one will allow me safer trialling and development.
Good thinking, I think :-)

Thanks
Paul