Hi All,

My ancient Powerbook G4 400's screen has stopped working. This lovely machine, once owned by a prominent member of this list, has been through a fair bit but I have to make it (or something) last 1 month until my Macbook Pro arrives.

I think it is hardware related, since on startup and forced restart, the HD and the other normal noisey sounds it makes are as usual, the only thing (but a biggie) is that the screen never turns on the backlight doesn't even show. I can even shutdown the computer properly by using the right key combos once it's started up, I can also connect to it over a network via SMB, but not AFP interestingly.

I've tried hooking the laptop up to S-video on the TV - and there was some greyey output with a few scattered green lines/dots - but nothing that resembled a desktop. I've tried a VGA connection and the monitor displayed "no signal".

Does this sound like a video card issue? Does anyone know the cost of fixing one of these?

If it sounds like it will be too expensive to fix for just a month's use, can anyone suggest a cost-effective way to have a mac laptop (anywhere btw PB G4 400 and Macbook) for a month (hire/buy)

Thanks for your help,
James