Tony,

Your problem might be a file privilages problem which can be ifxed using disk utilities and repair file permissions option. Alternately if somehow your mail.plist file is corrupt you may want to try Preferential treatment (http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/html/ pt.html) which will identify corrupt plist files. These are your preference files and can get corrupted. As they are xml based this little program checks them out to ensure they are compliant and not malformed. I have used it myself to resolve a couple of issues with miscreant preference file. Last time I checked it was free

Nick