Neil,

You need to use Access Control Lists (ACLs) to do what you want. Not difficult, but does require Tiger and the use of Terminal. ACLs override standard file permissions, and give you the ability to assign access permissions by user.

John Siracusa explains ACLs vs file permissions very clearly here:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/8

If you don't want to read it all and are using 10.4.x, you can use Terminal to:
1. Switch on ACLs
$ sudo fsaclctl -p / -e
2. Assign user Mary all relevant privileges on the /Shared folder
$ sudo chmod -R +a "Mary allow read,write,append,delete,list,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_ inherit,directory_inherit" /Shared

Regards,

Glenn.