On 28/08/2006, at 11:13 PM, Stephen Chape wrote:

Hi folks,

Rod mentioned the high quality of audio and video using iSight with iChat when communicating with folks in Canada. I have a couple of questions.

I always thought that iChat (and AIM) simply use text with optional video.
Does iChat actually use audio for conversation ?

It can... you can have text only chats... audio chats and video chats...

Also, must one have a .Mac subscription to use iChat ?

No you don't.

You can take a 60-day trial of .Mac and test some of the other features... then when the trail expires, you can keep the @mac.com address for use with iChat... FREE OF CHARGE. This is what I've done.

Or you can get an AIM id and use that... that is also free of charge.

Regards,
Stephen Chape