just my 2c to apples life cycle.....

in 1979 i bought an appleII+, 32kB ram, used it for 5 years
1984 a apple IIc came onto my table, was in service for 10 years with upgrades to 128kB ram, 4 disk drives, clock & microsoft basic card (is actually still working) 1994 mac classic (b/w screen) with 64 meg ram, os7 & internet capabilities did the jobs for 7 years 1997 mac clone umax (copy of 9600) with 512 meg ram, cd burner, os8&9 was my workhorse for 7 years 2004 a powerbook 17" g4 1gig ram, dvd burner took the place as main machine (os9,10,tiger) and now it looks alike that powerbook has a lifespan of only 4 years.........

upgrading to tiger still costs me alot because of incompatible/old software (bought in 2004) which ceased to work (eg dvd studio, digital performer and many other high quality commercial software) because of all the changes (called upgrades) in the operating system, software makers have given up & make stuff for windows only now (eg corel draw)

result: there is far less software for mac available & every 2 years you have to replace them which costs a lot on top of all: tiger loves to play beach ball (instead of doing the job) thus it makes it the slowest operating system i have seen

windows xp is now 5years in service & still going strong.......it only needed sp2 & that is for free during that time apple made 4 or 5 changes to the system, so serious users had to !buy! new hardware & software........

unix is more than 15 years in use........

apple is using software tricks to make sure you are replacing hardware & software regularerly (= money spinner for apple)

well i must be an apple nerd........James