Hi Severin,

I don't use mail myself - but I gave it a quick fire up to see if I
understood the problem.

One thing I noticed is unlike Entourage where:

when you drag the divider to change the relative size of the message
list/mail view windows it stops before you reach the bottom of the enclosing
window - so the message window never "disappears"

With mail you can, in fact, drag the divider right to the bottom so that
there is only one window visible (the message list) - so the first thing to
check is that the window is, in fact, divided into two halves - if not (ie
there is a double line with a dot in it at the bottom of the window) then
just drag the divider (looking like the bottom border) back up again to
reveal the mail view window.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be the options in preferences to
select or deselect this option so I wouldn't know!

I hope the above makes some sense!!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Neil