Since downloading and installing Firefox 2.0.0.5, I've had an annoying slow-down in using my ancient G3 (10.2.8, 256 Mb, 500 MHz).

I use Firefox heavily in parallel with Appleworks (refining a personal database through accesses to an online Chinese database). If I look up a term online, then switch to my Appleworks database, there seems to be a lot of disk swapping going on before I can do the switch.

I am guessing that the slow-down is because the new Firefox soaks up all the available memory, and so has to be swapped out before Appleworks can be loaded.

Is there any way I can check this, and anything I can do about it? In System 9 I could set allowed memory allocations for an application, but don't know how to do this in OS X.

I have an external hard drive available, could this be used in any way take some of the swapping load, and would this help even so? Any suggestions much appreciated. TIA.

David Noel
2007 Aug 10

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>