Why not bite the bullet and shift to the web.

Use Google Apps (basic edition free) with mail and calendar and address book.
Your address book is in Google Apps, so you can use from your laptop and iPhone.
No sync required, and that simplifies everything.

If you want to know what you are getting into, Lifehacker has a good
Outlook vs Gmail article:
http://lifehacker.com/398778/outlook-vs-gmail++the-definitive-comparision

Google mail supports both POP and IMAP, so you could still use Outlook
if you were really wanting to. But it is worth checking out the Google
webmail interface, you may find (like many) it an improvement over
both Mail.app and Outlook.

Glenn.

--
Glenn Nicholas

OM4.com.au | OM4Tourism.com | OM4Business.com