On 10/08/2008, at 5:08 PM, John Daniels wrote:

Following my reinstallation from the upgrade disc I now have 10.5 as the OS.
Prior to the problem I had 10.5.4
1) When I archived and installed, would my previous OS (10.5.4) have been
retained on the HDD.

You should be able to find a " Previous system " folder on the hard drive

2) I do have a backup on Time Machine back to June. Would that help to get
10.5.4 updates without downloading the combo afresh?
3) I did have a folder in the dock for downloads with stacks but I
inadvertently dragged it into the desktop and lost it.

You should not have lost the folder  ... but where it is ..... ?

When you said you lost the above folder did it disappear in a " puff of smoke "
which would  mean that was an alias .

Try looking ... previous system ... users - your name - for Downloads folder

What you need is the Mac OSX Combo 10.5.4 update , and then you do not have to worry about the
increments in between
Bob

getting that folder and stacks back in the dock?
I hope someone has the time and patience to answer the above
Cheers
John