Fixed. I removed Word and Excel from the Startup items then put them back in again and all is now fine apart from a new document window whenever I bring up Word or Excel (active) from the dock. I find the "Open Recent" is my preferred start point; for other documents I go to my Templates, all accessible from an alias in the dock.
At least I do not have those annoying open documents after startup.
Enjoy this hotter day, my thermometer says 24C right now but it felt hotter than that.
Severin