Thanks for this Ronni

Yes, I had plugged in my Maxtor external hard drive (which I had been using with my Toshiba notebook and which was set to automatically back up every 24 hours) when I bought my Apple earlier this year. I unplugged the Maxtor a while ago because I don't think it was that happy to work with the Apple. So on my list of things to buy was an external hard drive for the Apple. These were really expensive at that time, so it was put onto hold. I note they have been coming down in price more and more recently.

Any recommendations of brand/size or other thoughts?

*Incidentally, I did not discover and solve the (various) problems with iPhoto by myself - I had a very patient and helpful off-line helper, during nearly the whole of Saturday. So much appreciated - there was no way that I could have solved this by myself!

Peta