I agree this is a great product BUT make sure you update the firmware before you format the drives as we had a few minor issues.

Cheers

Duncan

Sent from my iPhone

On 21/12/2008, at 11:10 AM, Ronda Brown <ro...@wn.com.au> wrote:

Hello People,

When Peta asked for advice about Backup Drives, it prompted me to send some information on my new Backup Storage setup. I purchased (through Daniel of MacWizardry), and have been using the 2nd Generation "DROBO-Storage Robot" for over a month now and I'm thoroughly impressed, he is brilliant! He is also FUN! He has lots of lights and looks very cool sitting on my desk. DROBO Dashboard is one neat application.

Drobo is designed to actively monitor and protect your data at all times. It is also programmed to optimise data storage so you don't have to. Drobo acts as a large, single pool of storage that is always available and it's also inherently "backed-up" on the Drobo and protected against drive failure or disk corruption. He is One Big Pool of Protected Storage.

Drobo has Four (4) Data Bays. He will only take 3.5" SATA1 & SATA11 Drives NOT IDE drives.
You must have at least two drives in Drobo.
I now have in DROBO three drives. 1TB SATA + 1TB SATA + 250GB SATA Drives, giving me 2.25TB (2.04TB Actual). 934.96GB is being used for Protection. When I only had 1TB + 250GB, DROBO gave me the "RED ALERT that I must insert a new drive into the empty Data Bay indicated by the red light".
Drobo needed extra space for protection of my data.

You can use Drobolator Capacity Calculator to help you select the number and size of drives to fit your needs <http://www.drobo.com/Products/drobolator.html >

You can just add new disks when you need more capacity, or replace a smaller drive with a larger one, no data migration or reconfiguration is required.
Your data has multiple layers of automatic protection.

Drobo works with Time Machine, SuperDuper, and other backup software and utilities. It works perfectly with Déjà Vu (the backup I use).

You can Network Drobo. This explains Networking Drobo:
<http://www.thedigitalstory.com/blog/2008/04/ drobo_hard_drive_bac.html>

"Drobo utilises a revolutionary storage technology that makes it simple for anyone to use, yet is powerful enough for business. Once you experience the power of Drobo, the idea of keeping multiple external drives or a RAID 5 array will seem as antiquated as that 28.8Kbps modem in the back of your closet."

This latest release "Second Generation" has 2 Firewire 800 ports & 1 USB 2.0 port.
The First generation was only USB 2.0.

"Now, it's also fast. Drobo is available with FireWire 800 and enhanced USB 2.0 performance giving you the data protection and ease you need, with the speed and interface you want."

<http://www.drobo.com/Products/drobodemo.html?ID=Macworld1>

<http://www.drobo.com/Products/FAQs.html>

Mini-Review from Engadget:
<http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/08/drobo-second-gen-mini-review/>

In-Depth Review from Automated Home (even though it's mainly showing Windows side, it's quite informative): <http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Reviews/Drobo-DroboShare-In-Depth-Review.html >

The retail on them is now $1029.95 for the Drobo Storage Robot unit. Then you use your SATA Drives or & purchase more or larger drives when you need them.
<http://www.conexus.com.au/detail.php?item=DDH001>