Well, that's one way of doing it.

Another way is to create a blank disc image (or more than one if you want to
split the info into parts) on your mac, then copy the info from the flash
drive to the disc image(s) on the mac. Then erase the flash drive before
copying the disc images across.

I don't know of any way to leave the info in situ on the flash drive and
just "lock" the drive - but you could always Google - it's amazing what you
can find out there!

Cheers

Neil
--