Hi,

Okay, not having a good long weekend...While updating my laptop's copy
of FileMaker today, the entire contents of my Applications and
Utilities folders were deleted. It's a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS
10.4.11 (PPC). I don't have an equivalent machine to copy the
Applications from. So, I basically need to re-install them all! (I
have limited space for backups, so I haven't been backing up my
laptop's Applications folder.) So far, I have copied and installed
some (old versions) of Apple's core applications and utilities from
the original system installation disks. Of course, I will need to
update the apps to the latest versions but I can't do that because
Software Update was deleted.

Now, at this stage, my Library and home directories are fully intact
and it's only Applications that are gone. Unfortunately, I can't
install most of the core applications without running the OS X
installer, which not only wants me to restart but will probably
clobber my /Library folder with old files, too (I think the installer
discs are 10.4.2). That's if it can overcome all the cached
/Library/Receipts. In any case, I don't want to shut down or restart
the laptop because I'm afraid it won't be able to start up again.

I am guessing that my best bet is to find a machine with the same
hardware and OS version, and then copy the /Applications back. In the
mean time, I might try to look through the invisible files on the
Installer CD to see if there are application packages in there. Does
anyone know of a utility that will show me all the Applications I had
installed (e.g. by parsing the contents of /Library/Receipts)? Has
anyone experienced this before and have some advice?

James