Thought I would share this as it might help someone else:

I have a MacBook Pro (17") which will turn 2 years old in April. About
a month ago it started to randomly shutdown - and I mean like instant
shutdown, no warning! After some googling, I discovered it's a common
problem with this model's battery, and that it's also prone to
"battery bulging". So I took the battery out for inspection and sure
enough it had begun bulge. Further research (as mentioned previously
on WAMUG) led me to Apple's article extending the warranty from 1 to 2
years for MBP battery bought up to April 2007 (mine just scrapes in).

So I took the battery to an Apple service centre on Scarb Beach Rd