Thanks James.

If however I launch Entourage, I can go into Entourage > Preferences > General Preferences > Fonts, then for the field "HTML messages (proprtional)" I can select Verdana Italic. Then if I create a new message with Entourage and start typing, I'm typing in italics. This also works if I reply to a message.

If Apple Mail can't do the same as Entourage on its own, anyone have any creative ideas on how to achieve the same? Involving Automator perhaps? I see in Automator's Library there is a "New Mail Message " Action, but not sure how I could drag in a pre-determined text format.

I thought about utilising Apple Mail Stationery, but then that wouldn't work for replying to messages.

Cheers, Steven