Hi Merv,

Typically a web page which you view may contain stuff which isn't actually
part of the HTML code, but which is called up by instructions in the code -
the most obvious example being an image - where the html code will include
the source address of the image file.

If you save as a web archive then typically you will get a folder containing
not only the html page source, but also all the other items required to
reconstruct the entire page (eg images etc).

If you just save as html then the actual html file will be exactly the same
as the html file in the web archive - as you have observed - but if you were
to open the pages in a web browser the web archive (or the html file in the
web archive folder, if nothing has been removed from the folder) should
display exactly as before but the straight html file will show the bones of
the page but may well be missing some items or display differently if
separate style sheet fies were used.

Whether images are displayed or not will depend on how they are called up:

If the full image address is used, eg:

http://site.com.au/pic.jpg

Then the browser will go back to the original site and download the image
(assuming the site doesn't have measures to prevent this - but that's a
different topic) which will display correctly.

However, typically a site will have its images in an images folder and will
use a relative address to call up the image, eg:

images/pic.jpg

Which means the browser will look for a folder called "images" in the same
directory as the html file and then look in that folder for the image file.

If you have just saved as html, it won't find the folder (unless
co-incidentally you have a folder called images in the same directory - and
if so, short of a coincidence meltdown, it won't find the image file in the
folder).

If, on the other hand, you saved as web archive, an image folder will have
been created and a copy of the image placed in it and so all will display as
it should.

Images are not the only things that are affected- but it makes for an easy
example.

HTH

Cheers

Neil