Thanks Paul, Glenn, Alexander, and Daniel for your help - I'll pass all comments to the Windows IT guy.

Cheers, Steven

On 27/03/2009, at 3:28 AM, Paul Mulroney wrote:

Hi Steven,

On 27/03/2009, at 5:01 AM, WAMUG Mailing List wrote:

I'm trying help an IT guy, a Windows guy, do some testing of speeds
when it comes to me accessing a particular server.

To do whatever he needs me to do, something to with ssh connections,
and something about needing to redirect local ports to server, he
would use Putty in the Windows world. I tried to do what he needed me
to do with Apple's Terminal application, but it didn't seem t work.

I know this is all fairly vague, but can anyone suggest what
application I need? Should Terminal be able to do what Putty can do,
or do I need something else?

puTTY is a GUI for ssh on windows. If you want to do SSH with port redirection, this is the command I use in Terminal:

ssh -C -L port1:server1:port2 usern...@server2

To explain:
-C - use compression. The data is compressed on the fly when being transmitted.

-L - use local port redirection.  In this scenario:
        port1 = the port on your machine that you want it directed to
server1 = the name or IP address of the machine you want to come from. This is usually the internal IP address.
        port2 = the port on the machine you want to come from

username - the account name you're logging in as on the machine
server2 - the name or IP address of the machine you're connecting to. This is usually the external IP address.

server1 and server2 don't have to be same address. In my situation, server2 is the external IP address of the server I want to connect to, and server1 is the internal IP address I want to connect to. By external I mean a public IP address that can be accessed outside the local area network.

For example, I have an ADSL modem and it has a web interface. I can't connect to that remotely because it won't allow me for security reasons. However, I can use SSH from a remote site, to connect to a server behind my adsl modem (internal address 192.168.1.254) and get it to forward the web traffic (port 80) to my remote setup. In this case:

sudo ssh -C -L 80:192.168.1.254:80 u...@externalipaddress

(note: ports below 1024 require root access, so you can use sudo to run the command with root privileges. If you don't use sudo you get the error "Privileged ports can only be forwarded by root.")

Example 2: I use VNC to connect to client's servers and view their system remotely. VNC uses port 5901 for display #1. The internal IP address of the machine I want to access is 192.168.1.100

ssh -C -L 5901:192.168.1.100:5901 u...@externalipaddress

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Paul.