On 29/03/2009, at 5:13 PM, Peter Curtis wrote:

Hi Ronni
By good fortune rather than by design, when we attached the iPod to the computer it advised us that if we proceeded any further we would erase the iPod!
Lucky eh?
Regards
Peter

We conclude you did not have a backup !

With Hard drives as cheap as they now are you would do well to acquire one
and at least backup your users folder .

I can recommend Superduper for this : that way you will always have a relevantly
recent copy of all your files .

Bob

PS : Some of the " external hard drives " like WD units do not play nice with Mac . A separate enclosure with a WD hard drive installed works great . I have an esata
connection on G5 Power Mac that boots with no problems.