Hi all,

This problem seems to have arisen since I recently updated Office 2004.

I have the OSX firewall set to "Set access for specific services and
applications" - so when an application wants to accept an incoming
connection a dialog box pops up asking if I want to allow or deny
connections for that application and, normally, once set that's the end of
it.

Now with Office 2004 - I allow Entourage (hard to get email otherwise) but
block Excel and Word - since I see no reason to allow them.

Everything works fine - Word & Excel don't actually need to connect - but I
still keep getting the popup box asking me if I want to allow the connection
(with "allow" preselected as default!) - even though it is already set to
block in OSX preferences. I then duly select "block" and proceed as normal!

It doesn't happen every time I open Excel or Word - but it happens often
enough to be annoying - as yet I haven't noticed any specific pattern to
what causes it. It seems to happen more frequently with Excel - but that
could just be because I use Excel much more than Word!

I don't remember the problem before I upgraded Office 2004, in fact I don't
remember being asked to allow/deny for Word/Excel prior to the upgrade
(though I'm not certain about that).

So, a couple of queries:

1) Is this just normal behaviour (ie normal MS annoying feature) - do other
users find this happens for them (assuming you have the firewall set to
block incoming connections for Excel & Word).

2) Is there anything else to set (preferences anywhere?) so that once the
firewall is set to block it just accepts that and doesn't keep trying to
change my mind!!

Cheers

Neil
--