Hi Tom

I've come across this once before for a client and a Leopard install as
well.
It ended up the only way to fix it was using Terminal and unix commands.
Took me a couple of google searches to find the right one.

But here it is...
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8506675>

Basically you need to go into terminal and type
(assuming your drive is called "My drive")

sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/"My drive"
Hit Return

sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/"My drive"
Hit Return

Instead of typing the drive name once you've written
sudo chflags nouchg
You can also then drag the drive icon into the Terminal window and it will
write it in for you.

Once it's done you can quit out of Terminal, then redo a Get Info on the
drive and you should have access to them again.

When I did it on the clients computer it took me two goes to get it right as
I miswrote a command. I also gave it a restart as well.
(Mind you, they had no internet and I was using my iPhone to google the
instructions,...) :o)

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel



On 5/5/09 9:40 PM, "tom samson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can get into info but the sharing permissions (all three) come up
> with custom) and I cannot change them they are greyed out
> I have not seen this before and they are my backup disks
> tom
> On 05/05/2009, at 8:26 PM, Robert Howells wrote:
> 
>> 
>> On 05/05/2009, at 7:57 PM, tom samson wrote:
>> 
>>> Just had to reinstall Leopard from apple disc for my imac intel
>>> 2.8gig
>>> and now my backup drives are on the desktop but are locked
>>> can't unlock from info
>>> can't unlock from Disk drive
>>> can't unlock from Disk warrior
>>> or Drive Genius
>>> 
>>> any ideas????
>> 
>> 
>> So Tom ,
>> 
>> If you do the Apple eye , are you saying that when you click on the
>> Lock
>> it does not offer you a window to authenticate by entering your
>> password,
>> and you are unable to check the box  " ignore permissions on this
>> drive "   ?
>> 
>> Further ,
>> 
>> did you happen to give your mac a new user name when you set it up
>> after the reinstal ?
>> 
>> Can you set up a second user with the previous name and deal with
>> the drives that way ?
>> 
>> 
>> Bob
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel @ macwizardry . com . au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>


**For everything Macintosh**



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>