Hi Paul,

I'm no network guru, so this is just my thoughts rather than real knowledge!

I think an online check would probably come up with the IP address of your
internet router.

The IP addresses for each computer may or may not change depending on how
your network is set-up. If you go to the network pane in system preferences
and then go to Ethernet you will see that there are options for Configure -

Mine is set to "using DHCP" which means that it's IP address is allocated by
the router. In this case the IP address of the computer may indeed change
over time, depending what available address is allocated by the router.

Another option is "manually" where you set the IP address - making sure, of
course, you give a different valid address to each computer - in this case
the computer IP address will remain the same until you change it.

As I understand it though, these addresses would only be visible on your LAN
(local area network, ie all the computers talking to the router) the
internet is part of the WAN (wide area network). With a typical setup your
router is the bridge between your LAN and the WAN.

The network pane in system preferences will also tell you the current IP
address of the computer.

HTH

Cheers

Neil