HI Ronni and Neil

I am using iPhoto8. The only items not checked in your list were Dust Removal, Colour Restoration and Auto Photo restoration. Everything else was as you suggested. The scanned result was the same, no image in iPhoto.

Neil, I've now just scanned one photo as .tif which works as does the .pct so tomorrow I'll try and digest all your information and see what happens next.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Watch this space!!

Best wishes
Laura