Hi Stephen, were you inert? You have to move for it to work.

The iPhone doesn't have a built in compass. The Compass App works on the GPS location. It determines compass direction from your GPS position from one moment to the next. Once it finds the correct GPS location between 2 points it will give both your speed and direction.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene