Hi All,
A salesperson representing Telstra fronted today saying that Telstra
was installing Cable in our area and had an invitiation only offer
that included 17Mbpa broadband. I was sceptical, but after getting a
copy of the paperwork it seems the offer might be real - I found the
offer is explained here:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Telstra_Bigpond_Bundle_Offer

For $109.95/mth they are offering cable broadband with 25Gb bandwidth
plus Homeline Ultimate (local and std calls plus capped mobile).
Similar for $89.95 with 12Gb bandwidth and Homeline Together (local
and 0.50 untimed std calls plus capped mobile)

We are in Shenton Park, the rep suggested with Cable we would get
17Mbps. On iiNet ADSL2+ we currently get 3 to 3.5Mbps.

Has anyone had any experience with Telstra cable that is relevant to
deciding on this?
Is there any way of anticipating what the actual speed is likely to be?
Is there likely to be downtime changing over from iiNet Naked DSL?
Do the Telstra cable modems work with Macs?

In general I am wary of Telstra reps bearing gifts ...

Glenn Nicholas