Can anyone confirm that my experience with sending email on the 3G network is more general than mine, alone?

My iPhone contract is with Telstra but my current ISP is People Telecom. Therefore I have the need to specify two outgoing mail servers: mail.bigpond.com for the 3G network and smtp.per.people.net.au for WiFi connections. Under Settings>mail etc>accounts>outgoing mail server it is necessary to set a Primary Server (smtp.people in my case) and 'Other SMTP Servers' (mail.bigpond) and there it states that:

"If Mail is unsuccessful using the primary server, it will try the other SMTP servers in succession."

However my experience is that with the Primary Server toggled 'ON', using a 3G connection, Mail will try to send an email and, after some delay fail with the message: 'The server rejected one of the recipient's addresses (sic). The message has been placed in the Outbox' If the Primary Server is toggled 'OFF' in this configuration the message is sent but not as quickly as with a WiFi connection where the Primary Server is toggled 'ON' It appears as if contact with the Primary Server is still attempted before the Secondary SMTP server is used. (so does OFF not really mean OFF?) I have set up an account with bigpond as the Primary and the same situation is seen in reverse ie: under WiFi if bigpond is toggled OFF an email is sent after a delay but not at all if bigpond is toggled ON.

Having to manually configure the primary SMTP server's state whenever the network connection is changed is seemingly contradictory to what the Settings note about 'Other SMTP Servers' implies.

I had hoped that the upgrade to iPhone 3.0 would resolve the problem but it hasn't. Nor has restoring everything 'as a new phone' (ie without any previous settings) made any difference. I have spent a fair bit of time talking to Telstra and Apple and, in fact it was only in the past few days that I worked out the above solution and was able to send emails using 3G connections although I'm sure there wasn't this difficulty when I first set up the phone's email. I want (need?) to send very few emails using a 3G connection but this is, nevertheless, pretty frustrating :(

At no stage has there been any difficulty receiving email or connecting to the net on either 3G or WiFi connections

peter meyer
0408 902349
pmo...@people.net.au