Hi David,

Boot from your install DVD and see if a repair via Disk Utility will help - sounds like a kernel panic.

You may need to backup your data and try a complete reinstall - if the problem reoccurs, you may have a hardware fault.

If your Mac is overheating and your fans are turning on a lot, I'd take it to an Apple repairer - I've had a couple of fans go funny, turning on full/intermittently - they've been replaced and run quiet as.

Gav