From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On Behalf Of
Ronda Brown
Sent: Wednesday, 15 July 2009 3:46 PM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: free telstra wifi, was "RE: more iphone questions"

Hi Hugh,

On 15/07/2009, at 1:33 PM, Hugh Griffiths wrote:

> I have tried to do a bit more research about this free Telstra wifi
> question for iphone, and I have been given several answers, none of
> which quite make sense, and none of which I can test or validate as
> I don't yet have an iphone.
>
> 1/. Telstra iphone support says that the iphone downloads a
> "different" set of apps and Os when you connect to itunes, and one
> of these "bits" actually knows that you are on a Telstra sim and
> have an iphone therefore you get authenticated logon to Telstra
> wireless points.

 From my experience I understand that when the Telstra Person inserted
my SIM Card (which was my original SIM card I had in my old Nokia), &
connected it to iTunes on their computer it "Tethered / Activated my
iPhone Plan.

> 2/. Telstra sales man says that you need to have an actual iphone
> plan from Telstra as this triggers the authentication

That's correct as far as I am aware.

> 3/. Whirlpool forums indicate that with the older iphone 3G the wifi
> spots were only free when the bill was generated, ie you associated
> with a Telstra wifi spot, accepting the charges, but at the end of
> the session the charge was zero'd.

That sounds correct.

On my New iPhone 3G S you download "BigPond Mobile for iPhone" which
places an icon on your Home Screen.
NB: BigPond Mobile for iPhone content is available when your iPhone is
connected to the Telstra Next GT network, but is not available when
accessing the internet via a WiFi hotspot.

When you are in a Telstra Wireless Hot Spot (WA doesn't have many at
all), you launch the "BigPond Mobile for iPhone" & you are directed to
the Telstra Wi-Fi login screen.
You select the Telstra Post-Paid Mobile login option and enter your
Telstra mobile phone number.
Read and accept the 'Things you need to know'.
You'll receive a one-time login PIN via SMS. Via the login screen,
enter the 6-digit PIN and submit the details.

Then when you log off from the service you'll receive an SMS
containing your session details.
The message will confirm the session is free for Phone Plan for iPhone
customers.

<http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/iphone/get_started.html>

<http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/locations.htm>

> Does anyone have any experience of any of these? It occurs to me
> that if 3 is the case, then you really have no choice but to buy an
> iphone through Telstra if the free wifi is a big selling point, but
> if one or 2 is the case then it may be possible just to have an
> applstore iphone, a Telstra nextg/3g sim and the connection settings
> to make it work?

I am not sure, but I imagine you need to have an iPhone Plan with
Telstra which includes Data to be able to access the Telstra Wireless
Hot Spots for FREE.

> Best Regards
> Hugh Griffiths
>
> mobile +61 407 477 311
> office +61 (0) 8 6424 4801
> Any commercial terms stated or implied are subject to final approval
> and negotiations. Not an offer or acceptance.
> All correspondence directly pertaining to the act of doing business
> will continue to be transmitted for your information as allowed
> under the SPAM Act 2003. This includes but is not limited to quotes,
> order confirmation, and shipment advices.

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.