Thank you Daniel.

The Terminal advice 'hdiutil eject -force' from your link did the trick,
I applied it when the drive was in Power Down mode so nothing was accessing it at the time.

After ejecting it I checked the drive again with About This Mac, it came out of Power Down mode but didn't re-mount then went into Idle mode, I guess that had to happen for About This Mac to identify it.

It's info was the same just no Available: GB's and no Mount Point:

But it leaves me wondering if I have formatted it wrong for the system to think it's being used when it's not.

Cheers

Brian