Hi Severin,

The cause is, as Ronni says, more than likely corrupt metadata - since it
seems to effect lots of these files it could be due to a problem with the
original image processing/saving that created the jpgs.

With regard to opening the files some programs seem to be a lot more fussy
about tolerating these problems - in your case Photoshop CS3 is being fussy
(thanks Adobe!) whereas iPhoto, Preview and Graphic converter are OK with
it.

I have always found that Graphic Converter will often manage to open all
sorts of problem files - eg with downloaded images that have only partially
downloaded most programs complain about corrupt file or just fail to open
but Graphic converter tends to open them and just show the 20%, 50% or
whatever of the image that has downloaded - very useful if you are in a
tearing hurry and a large download has failed at 90%+.

If Graphic Converter can open it then, as you have found, doing a "save as"
from Graphic converter will generally clean up the file enough for general
consumption.

Cheers

Neil
--