Hi David,
I followed your advice, and the installation of 'Guest Additions' has made a significant difference, and makes the whole thing more workable - almost to the point where I have to rethink my opinion of Virtual Box.

I must say, I like the speed of the system. Have been able to play music on the VM (Win XP) system in programs like Audacity (running in the VM) and it worked fine, even while doing heavy internet access on the iMac. Couldn't do that on Parallels - it would work, but little clicks would appear in the sound.

Now have the cursor working well (ie, no need to press any keys to swap between iMac & VM), and shared folders works well.

   As you say, USB folders is a bit flakey.

In desperation, I have resorted to reading the manual that came with the download. Initial impressions is that there is some lower level stuff I need to do, but I get the impression that the manual may be an older version to the software that I have. Screen images etc are different, and things that are supposed to be on menus are not there. This is particularly true of the VirtualBox Manager, which I'm having difficulty activating. (I need it to increase RAM allocation so I can try seamless mode). There is something about USB handling to in the VB Manager as well.

   So I'll take time out to read the manual carefully.

Thanks again for your help... VBox is looking a whole lot better (and its FREE!!!)

    With thanks  ... Clyde