I find it most annoying that iPhoto baulks at importing many, but not all, grayscale images, the embedded profile plays a part and for some images just converting to RGB is not enough. A little research turned up "Embed sRGB Profile 2", an Automator action which seems to do the trick. This issue came to light when I was sent a collection of 70 or so historical photos of Perth and Fremantle from a variety of sources and had a variety of issues importing them in to iPhoto. Apple should realise that downloads straight out of a digital camera are not the only source of photos and make what I am sure must be only a minor tweak to iPhoto to accommodate scanned and other photos.
Others may have useful comments on this issue.
Severin Crisp

                   Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                    Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                            email  mailto:sevcr...@westnet.com.au