Hi James,

Thanks for the clarification & calcs re bandwidth & download speed.

If the problem was just the bandwidth/download time however, surely it would
affect both Firefox and Safari.

The 1.3 MB gif I was looking at:
<http://www.paperartzi.org.au/Resources/worksshow09.gif> actually has 29
cycling images - so each image would correspond to <50kb.

Firefox starts cycling in less than 10 secs - so presumably it can start
cycling the images before the gif is fully downloaded.

Safari, on the other hand, starts cycling after around 55 to 60 secs - more
than 5 times the download time of the whole 1.3MB gif.

Interestingly though, Alastair says:

> the gifs play straight away for me
> safari 4.0.3
> G4 1.25
> 10.4.11

So he has the same Safari version as me but doesn't see the problem on a G4
machine running Tiger - whereas I do see it on an intel Core2 Duo machine
running Leopard.

Ronni's explanation makes sense to me:

> CoreGraphics bug,which is fixed in Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 from what I
> can find out.

Based on Alastair's feedback, I am assuming that this bug was introduced
with Leopard?

Cheers

Neil
--