Hi Ronni,

Thanks for your help.  I checked the Activity monitor and nothing seemed to
be taking too big a percentage.

Nothing is taking more than 0.8% of CPU.
The largest items of Real Memory are 148 MB for Earth Desk Core, 109 MB for
iClip, 70MB for Entourage and 30 MB for URL Manager.

But I trashed the .plist file anyway and restarted.

I know this depends on the applications set to launch on boot but it took
one minute 35 secs to launch everything.

It still took 35 secs for a 1 gig USB drive to show up and 45 secs for my
Firewire 250 gig ext disk to show up.

That is an improvement but still much longer than under ordinary old
Leopard.  I quit all those applications and it made no difference to the
time it takes for the ext drives to show up.

Thanks

Lloyd