On 12/01/2010, at 3:00 AM, Reg Whitely wrote:
Bad night?

[snip, snip of my rant against Apple rumor sites]

Yes and No...

Yes, because I have a toothache :( and even though Sydney didn't reach the 43+ that Melbourne did, it is still hot and humid here even at 4:20 in the morning :(

No... because of the way people treat the Apple Rumor Mill as gospel and then how people end up "disappointed" when Apple finally announce the actual product... which blows us away in ways we never imagined, because Steve Job and his teams looked 1, 5 and 10 years into the future and thought differently and changed the world. [Although, to be fair, Apple have been known to produce some lemons too]

I'm on record for bagging the original iPod when it was launched saying "we don't need yet another f'ing MP3 player" and I was wrong! VERY WRONG! Instead we got THE MP3 player that all others are now measured by (if there are actually any other "real" MP3 player manufacturers left - apart the cheap asian look-alike knock-offs)... so I know how wrong the rumormongers and analysts (arm chair and professional) can get it at times...

I've also talked on numerous occasions to User Groups about the perils on relying on rumor sites for basing personal purchasing decisions for Apple Products.

Apple's official line, from Steve Jobs down, is "we do not comment on unreleased products" and until Apple themselves do make an official announcement, NO ONE should make any decisions based on the rumors and "news stories" that fly around the Internet in the weeks leading up to Apple Events... in the past we had a major surge of rumors late December, early January leading up to Macworld Expo... this year Apple aren't involved in it, so the rumor mills started trying to pin down dates for the next Apple Event... and the indications are that Jan 27th US time there may be such an event... but again there is NO official announcement nor media invites sent out yet.

That said, I read about 20 different Apple News and Rumor sites a day... and take the rumors with a packet of salt... after all, it does make for interesting reading :)

--
Nicholas Pyers  (nicho...@nicholaspyers.com)

          "Heaven on Earth?"
          "No, Earth on Earth.  The Just Earth!"