Thanks Ronnie
Don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but this worked:

  1. Export purchased ringtone from iTunes to desktop (drag to desktop)
  2. Open new project in Garageband
  3. Import ringtone to new project (drag in)
  4. Garageband Share Menu - Send Ringtone to iTunes
  5. It then goes to iTunes into the Ringtones folder (before it was in the Music folder)
  6. Sync iPhone
  7. Voila!
yippee!

ta